The Pink Fund...a real way to help our flock!
Posted on September 29 2016
The Pink Fund will make a direct bill payment for the maintenance of health insurance premiums and non-medical bills such as, a house or rent payment, a car or vehicle lease payment, utility payments, car insurance payments, and/or license plate tabs. Between 2013 to 2014, three dear friends from my church were diagnosed with breast cancer. First Tracy, then Patty, then Bridget. We were all shocked and devastated particularly because each one of these women, prior to their diagnosis, were hard working women juggling jobs and families while being deeply involved in activities with both the church and in the community.
Suddenly, these pillars were being told to “relax, chill and focus on your recovery.” Thanks to Breast Cancer Research, each had a sound playbook for recovery that, if followed, would likely tackle their disease. But what about the relax and chill part of the healing equation? Few could see how financially they were going to pull it off. The Pink Fund recently shared the following statistics:
Did you know that?
- 62% of Americans have less than a $1000 in savings
- 21% of Americans do not even have a savings account
- 50% of bankruptcies are the result of illness or illness related job loss
- In 6 months, a health crisis can throw a family into bankruptcy or homelessness
- 47% of our national workforce is women
- 73% of women work full time
- 31% claim head of household
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime
- Average treatment lasts 7-8 months
Now in the case of my friends, not one woman asked for money. I guess it’s just what we women do (or don’t do in this case). Even if we offered, they would absolutely turn us down and most likely admonish us for even considering it. But, that doesn’t mean the need is not there. Luckily organizations, like The Pink Fund, are set up to do just that -- by making direct bill payments for the maintenance of health insurance premiums and non-medical bills such as mortgage, car and utility payments for breast cancer patients in active treatment.
The Pink Fund has been formed to help breast cancer patients focus on healing, raising their families, and returning to the workplace. The Pink Fund will provide short-term financial aid for a brief period of treatment and recovery. - Molly MacDonald, Founder/President/CEO SurThrivor™
How you can make a difference? Three ways:
- Log onto The Pink Fund’s website and make a donation.
- Purchase a Fusion Gate -- any gate, any style, any size -- and we will donate $20 of the purchase directly to The Pink Fund.
- Purchase Fusion Gates' Songbirds in Pink art screen and we will donate an additional $10 to The Pink Fund.
October, Breast Cancer Awareness month, is a great time to remember those friends and family members stricken by this disease and to consider the likelihood that someone in your life will most likely be diagnosed. Take action. Our goal is to raise at least $1,000 this month towards this extremely worthy cause. I hope you will join us.
Thank for your consideration and dedication to harmonious living no matter the circumstance.
Donna Potter, President/CEO